Rainforest Night Tour
To experience the sights and sounds of the rainforest at night is truly something special. This Rainforest Night Tour takes you on a journey through the Atherton Tablelands rainforest to showcase the amazing wildlife that inhabits the area. With a small group size and an excellent guide, you will experience this unique wildlife environment that few others get the chance to see.
About 80% of Australia’s wildlife is more active from dusk through to nighttime. Although this tour starts in the early afternoon, as soon as the sun begins to set we grab our spotlights to capture our unique animals up in the rainforest canopy. Your informative guide will show you some of the world’s most unusual animals. Not only can you spot the mysterious platypus, tree kangaroos, possums, gliders, but also bats, bandicoots, echidnas, snakes, frogs and many others.
Your Wildlife journey awaits…
Climbing up to 800 metres above sea level, we will take the scenic route up the Gillies Highway as it winds its way through the mountain ranges. Once we reach the top of the range it is time to start exploring our first forest of the day – Danbulla State Forest. Home to the 800-year-old Cathedral Fig Tree, marvel at the enormity of the giant root system.
Take in the towering Twin Bull Kauri Pines, spot the Boyd’s Forest Dragon, or even the Musky Rat Kangaroo. The informative guides will share some great information on how the Rainforest came to be. Not only will we visit an extinct volcanic lake, but also get to spot wonderous creatures like the Saw Shelled Turtles, Archerfish and Eastern Water Dragons. Or better yet, try your hand at spotting the resident platypus with exclusive access to a private viewing area.
Soon enough we will have done so much exploring that it will be time for dinner! We will venture into Yungaburra Village to rest our feet and have a bite to eat. Once our bellies are full and the sun has set, it will be time to venture back into the rainforest with our trusty flashlights.
When animals go bump in the night..
The Curtain Fig Tree not only is an amazing sight to behold but also plays host to a wide variety of nocturnal fauna. On clear nights, you can witness the amazing backdrop of stars that spread across the sky – see if you can spot the Southern Cross!
So, If you want to make the most of your time in Cairns, why not join the guided Nature Walk in the morning. Discover different critters and practice some photography skills!
- Small Group size
- Personal and professional Guides
- Platypus spotting at Sunset
- 800-year-old Cathedral Fig Tree
- Curtain Fig Tree
- Lake Barrine
- Lake Eacham
Please note that Itineraries can be subject to change due to weather/road conditions
- Bus pickups commence in Cairns at 1.30 pm
- Firstly, we will head to the southern suburbs of Cairns to check out a large mob of Agile Wallabies.
- Enjoy a scenic drive up the Gillies Range. You are climbing up to 800 metres above sea level, on one of the country’s windiest roads.
- During the drive, we will visit the Danbulla State Forest, we observe the large Cathedral Fig Tree. An 800-year-old giant of the rainforest.
- After all our adventures we will enjoy afternoon tea at Lake Barrine. Amid the lush rainforest sits this incredible volcanic crater lake. Take a walk to view the towering Bull Kauri Pines along with some wildlife spotting. Here, we have spotted Boyde’s Forest Dragons, the Musky Rat Kangaroo, and many rainforest birds. Depending on the season, we may sample some rainforest fruits.
- Next, we will head to Lake Eacham to look for Saw Shelled Turtles, Archerfish and Eastern Water Dragons.
- We will then go on our hunt to find the elusive Platypus.
- Now that the evening has arrived, we will enjoy dinner at a lovely country restaurant in Yungaburra. Drinks will be at your own expense.
- As soon as the sun has set, we will grab our spotlights and venture back into the forest. The Curtain Fig Tree park is a hive of activity with many species calling it home.
- In time, we will commence our journey back to Cairns. On clear nights you can enjoy stargazing at the Southern Cross and Milky Way.
- Finally it is time to return home, where the Rainforest Night Tour comes to an end at your accommodation at around 9.30 pm.
Included in your Rainforest Night Tour
- Comfortable air-conditioned vehicles
- Small groups
- Pick up from accommodation
- National Park Fees
- Binoculars, rain ponchos, torches and reference materials.
Port Douglas Return transfers are available at an extra cost ($100 per booking).
Drinks with dinner not included
What to bring
Don’t forget your camera!
- Hat and sunglasses
- Good walking shoes
- Water bottle
- Day pack for personal items
How to get there
Courtesy pick-up and drop-off to your Cairns Accommodation is included. On the other hand, if you would like to meet at another location, please chat with our friendly team to discuss the available options.
Pick-ups commence from Port Douglas at 12:15, Northern Beaches 13:00, Cairns 13:30. Please note that this tour runs with a minimum of 2 people.
Please advise of any dietary requirements at the time of booking.
As Cairns & Atherton have tropical climates, for this reason, itineraries may change without notice due to weather and/or road conditions.
In any event, we recommend reconfirming your tour 48 hours before departure.